Tuesday 12 February 2013

Williams FW14B update

Masking and Dust 
I thought That I had found my ideal solution to my masking problem by using my old bottle of Humbrol Maskol, from my paint store, coupled with my 5 mm tamiya masking tape for the small areas to be covered, jolly good and off we go. I started by spraying the yellow, them masking off after 24 hours drying time. This was when I encountered my dust problem, as gloss spray highlights dust much more obviously than matt spray, which in my previous experience is mainly the type of spray used on military models. Coupled with the fact that I am having to spray in  my kitchen rather than in the garage, it's just too cold even for us northern folk and the cold does nothing for paint drying time. Any way after a few coats I was happy with the finish. On with the masking and spraying the blue paint and more drying time. Disaster ! the maskol was not up for the job. Hey ho back to square one. This time I simply used the Tamiya tape and trimmed it with  a swann morton scalpel. What Ho ! success. I then repeated the process with the semi gloss black , job done. As I was busy with the masking tape I decided to spray the main body cowling and have so far sprayed the blue and yellow areas and am now in the process of spraying the white. Again dust is the main problem, as no matter how much I clean up the area to be sprayed, suddenly there seems to appear a small hair or tiny speck of dust, where do they come from ? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, living in a house with a large boisterous Labrador  and backing onto farm fields doesn't help.
Anyway that was a good weeks spraying, including drying time and I have learnt a lot. I am also happy with the result and can only hope that the coach line decals fit well. I also need to purchase the extra Camel decals to make sure the finished model is accurate for the season.





I shall carry on with my project but have decided that there is no way that my modelling skills or my stock of tools and parts are up to the super detailing of Paul Smith's standards as I would have needed to cut off the nose section for the front bulkhead detail. You just have to realise your own limitations and marvel at the expertise of other people who are simply better than you.
Cheerio for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment