Monday 14 January 2013

A new year, a new project.
I decided to start the new year with something different to take on as a long term project. I considered making one of my favourite subjects, the Lancaster bomber in 1/48 scale. There are a number of upgrades to enhance the basic kit and a number of scratch built modifications on the flaps which make it an ideal subject. I used to have a basic model of S for sugar and I was very proud of it. Unfortunately I took it to school for using as an example of how scale could be measured and one day when I was off school a supply teacher knocked it off the shelf and ruined it, such is life. There were problems with this choice in that the finished model is approximately 1m long and 1m wide, which makes it a difficult piece to display. 
I thought about the project some more and finally decided on building a 1/12 scale Williams FW 14 B, Nigel Mansell's famous red 5 from 1992. This took me back to my younger years yet again, as I had built a few 1/12 cars. I bought the kit on E Bay at a fraction of the cost from traditional model shops, how can they compete with these prices ? In my research I have found two sites to help with the build and extra detailing that I intend to include, although  some of the detailing and tooling is beyond my resources and eyesight. So far I have nearly completed the engine block assembly and rear suspension arms. The only thing that needs particular care is the tightening of the screws into the top front suspension brackets as they are thin plastic. I am about to start the rear brake assembly and finish of the engine. I shall post another blog when this is complete.  








I hope you enjoy these images and shall be in touch soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment