Friday 25 January 2013

Williams FW 14B build update.

The completed engine block.
I have finally completed the engine build, complete with rear suspension and brakes. This was a fairly straight forward process with only one or two slight problems. When attaching the cables     I used superglue and painted the connections silver as per the box artwork, which is also very useful for adding extra detailing. I must admit I picked this up from another website by Dan Parrat. info@ modelersite.com I found his hints and tips very useful for the build. The brake pad assembly was a slight problem as I painted the inside of the pads and when I came to fit them it was too tight a fit for the discs. Once removed and cleaned up it was a perfect fit, allowing smooth rotation. However when completed turning the whole wheel assembly seems to put a high degree of torque on the half shafts. I shall wait to see what it is like when I fit the wheels themselves. This is only a minor consideration as  the completed model will be mounted on a plinth for display purposes. There are some differences between the box art and the instructions and I defered to the website for inspiration. Dan had a big advantage over me as he had the chance to look at the real thing at Donnington.  The only addition I have made at this stage is to add a hose from between the  suspension dampers attached to the top of the gearbox. I shall wait until the block is attached to the bodywork and sidepods before attempting to detail it further. I know this seems a little pointless as it will be covered up when finished and removing the bodywork seems to take some time, but as a model maker this is the case with most models I have made. The enjoyment is knowing the detail is there, however sad that makes me seem.   I have now moved onto spraying the cockpit tub assembly. So far I have given it 3 coats of blue gloss and am now leaving it for 24 hours before masking it to spray the semi gloss black areas, a slow process but essential for a near perfect finish. I say near perfect because there is bound to be at least one or two specks of dust under the spray paint, although it looks pretty damn near perfect to me. 









I  shall be back in the near future with more information and pictures of my progress, cheerio for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment