Wednesday 26 September 2012

GROWING UP
The very first model I remember building was a Russian fighter plane, I can't remember which one, it was over 45 years ago. I painted it with some green Humbrol enamel paint, not the neatest job and as I remember I got more paint on myself than on the plane, it must have looked a real mess but I was pleased with it. The shop I used to buy things from was run by a retired RAF pilot, who flew Sunderland flying boats during the war. The shop was en route to the new fangled supermarket that had opened in the village. We used to visit it on Saturday morning. We bought the shopping and carried it back home, we didn't have a car, and it was close enough. I was simply along to help with the bags but I liked going because I might get to choose something like a new yoghurt, a new and strange product at the time, or a branded cereal for breakfast and there was always the prospect of a new model, or a Matchbox car. Nearly all the models I bought at this time came from this shop. I think the shop was run by a man called John Hair but I'm not sure. Everything I built was 1:72 scale and by Airfix. Looking at the Airfix book I remember so many of the model, mostly planes and ships but there were others such as a larger scale bus and the 1:24 scale Spitfire, which had a motor in to turn the propeller. All of my models were painted with Humbrol paints, I don't think there was much else available, If there was I was not aware of it. Remember there was no internet then back in the late 60's and early 70's. Painting was difficult and I did my best to copy the instructions. I don't have any of these early efforts left, they were thrown away when I left home, or simply broke. It seems so strange now to look back and wonder how we got by without the internet for shopping or research. I haven't visited a model shop in years and my library of reference books seems so small and inadequate compared to the amount of information available at my fingertips.
As a teenager i began to take the bus into Newcastle by myself and discovered a model shop on what was then Blenhim street, I'm not sure of the spelling but neither the shop or the street survive today, now it is simply a road, which by coincidence had the pub on where i met my wife, The Broken Doll, a much later occurrence. However this three storey shop was heaven on earth for me. It was here that I first discovered 1:35 scale Tamiya kits and a new modelling experience began.


A Tamiya quad tractor and 25 pounder gun, famed for its role in the North African campaign. I have often wondered if the allies compared their artillery and tanks to those of there counterparts, like the Germans did with the T34.


No comments:

Post a Comment